Welcome to SocialEngine User Community! This is an idea exchange area for SocialEngine users. Ask questions or post your feature requests here. This isn't an official support channel, so if you need support, please open a support ticket

Post Something!

Recent Activity

• commented on Plugin Recommendations
  • commented on SE Cloud - Two Feature Suggestions
  • commented on SE Cloud - Two Feature Suggestions
  • posted Plugin Recommendations
    X
      Eugene I think both plugins from SEAO and Hire-Experts actually replace the standard feed with their own improved feed versions. Please keep that in mind when evaluating both options.
  • commented on SE PHP 4.9 - Eww

New Members

Online Now

5 guests

PHP Help

Website Name After Page Description?
    I can be wrong, but I remember that until version 4.8.13 website name was before the page title, but now seems that the opposite is happening.

In other words instead of sitename - page name description the website is displayed as page name description - sitename. Is this correct?
    Where are the Setting from the New Comment and Like System?
    Hello,

I remember that the new feature that improve the comment and like system has setting to enable it. Where these settings are avaliable? I checked the admincp, but couldnt find in what section they are avaliable

Donna Hi [862,Sieg] ,

Our documentation is on our knowledgebase but let me link the tutorial for you :)

http://support.socialengine.com/php/customer/portal/articles/1645717-admin-panel---settings->-activity-feed-settings

That was updated to show the new settings.
    Iframely Options
    Hello,

I am testing the version 4.9 and I confess that in despite of price to use the iframely api, I could understand the difference between the Social Engine Api and Host a Api. The Social Engine Hosted Api use Iframely or it use the old version from SE?
      Donna The SocialEngine Hosted version is the Iframely hosted by SE for licensed clients. :) We did this for clients that might not want to use the paid Iframely or on their own servers. Hope you enjoy it! :)
    Redirect to "www" or not ?
    Hello, i have noticed that sometimes the website works different if is
    or not redirected to use www , for example a plugin can give error or
    not working properly if the website is not loading with www.
    What is your opinion about redirect, is good to insert in .htaccess the redirect code and use www.site.com or site.com ?
      Eugene It's a good practice to set redirect to non-www version (or to www version). Make sure that only one domain version is actively used. There might be multiple problems if you use both version at the same time, for example, if you logged in www domain you won't have the same session in non-www. And if you set Facebook/Linkedin login they wll threat www and non-www as 2 different websites. That mean there might be issues with redirects after the login.
      Donna Good question. I use a redirect to send all to my non-www url. I have google set up to use the non-www as well.

https://moz.com/learn/seo/duplicate-content

However, looking at this article, http://www.themezilla.com/should-you-use-www-in-your-url-or-not/ if I want to future proof my sites, I need to change to www as the non-www can mess up caching and static content on active sites.

Thanks for posting this topic! It will be interesting to see other feedback.
    Organize membership type
    To keep my social network professional I am trying to figure out a way to put my membership types in alphabetic order or some type of custom order. When a visitor signs up on my site there is no organization when the pulldown is accessed on signup. Does anyone have advice or know how I can access the file directly? I have experience with coding but unsure where the page or coding is located for this. Furthermore, hopefully the organization will affect membership type on member browse page also.
      Brandon Buchanan It seems like everything is wrong with social engine. I've spent more time requesting help and support than building my site. I always get the same answer to request a feature or get an expert. This is getting ridiculous
      Donna It looks like you'll need a customization for this or a feature request. You would get it done faster by a customization from an expert, https://www.socialengine.com/experts/category/all . I didn't have a lot of time to experiment but if I find anything when I get more time to dig in the code, I'll post.
      Brandon Buchanan Profile types
    • 2 more comments
    How to delete the phrases in language pack
    How to delete the accidentally added new phrases in language pack. i have attached the screenshot.
      PoeticJustice these are all added in a file, in your directory for languages, there should be a custom language file, similiar to custom css files..... locate the custom language file, and just delete
      Gabry That's the right way from [508,PoeticJustice] ... in you language folder you have custom.csv ...open it and you will find in there those phrase's , just delete them !
    Forum photo attachment
    Hi, I have just noticed that when I edit a forum post I have a photo attachment below text area, when I attach a photo it seems to work and shows up below the post. My question is why does it not show up on topic creation page or post creation page? Is it some left over code that should be removed from post edit page, or should it be added to topic and post creation page? I just tried it on demo website and it's the same.
      Donna Can you post a screenshot? In most forums, any script, an attachment is an item that sits below the post. If you want the image to sit inside the post, you would use the embed with tinymce (4.9 has it). If you want something else, please let us know. :)
    SE PHP Session duration
    Hi, it appears that the login session expires in about 2 weeks which is very annoying having to log in all the time. Do any of you have a solution for this? I wouldn't want to keep inactive sessions forever too, but maybe there is a simple way to check if session expires soon and if user visits the website to just extend it for another 2 weeks?
      Donna A caution. Having sessions like that can be a security risk. It is very easy these days to hijack a user's session. It happened to me at another script and due to the session not expiring that day, it caused the hacker to be able to log in and do his wonders as admin. It wasn't a fun experience at all. I will ask the team about the session issues as I would actually like a setting to allow it to expire much, much sooner for security purposes. So, perhaps a setting for admin to control it more so that those not concerned for possible security issues could set it longer and those that want to lock it down can set it shorter.
    • 7 more comments
    Social Engine 4.9 upgrade - How did it go?
    Hi all
    Just seeing how the 4.9 update went for you all.
    Hopefully you didnt do it on your live server, and instead made dev and also staging serviers for testing.

Anyone encountered any issues?

Donna I upgraded a clone of my author site. It was 4.8.13 and I had customized a clone theme, have my own plugins on it. The upgrade went fine for me, no errors seen. Only issue I had was that I needed to clear google chrome cache as it is such a pain browser. I had to "Save" the theme again just to be sure everything was fine. Not sure if that's a required step but it's something I do.
      SocialEngineSolutions The upgrade went well for us also. We have created a whole new server also with PHP 7, SE 4.9.0 and our plugins on it. There are some CSS issues in our plugin on which we are working.
      The upgrade for compatibility of all our plugins will be released soon.
      Thanks,
      SocialEngineSolutions Team
      Mikel Coreclark Hello again, mikel here.
      I just had a thought... is what I mentioned in my last post normal. Question:. Are the SE script files and apps / modules in 4.8.13 going to be replaced by the new 4.9 files, apps / mods and therefore nothing to be concerned about ? and the site will not be affected..
      thanks again, mikel.
    • 15 more comments
    4.9 Issue List
    I made my first test and I already find my first problem. I will update this topic with the issues that I found.

1- Cant Install Activity Module: From all modules only the activity seems to have a problem. When I try to install it I receive a mysql error saying about a duplicated modified_date column and also a editable column

Donna Our team can check this on your site if you would please submit a ticket. We need to see if it's a bug or site issue. If you don't have support, please send an email to support@socialengine.com with site details for our team. Thank you!
      Donna Thanks for posting.However, this one is posted https://github.com/SocialEngine/phpv4-issues/issues/659 . My own clone site worked fine but I've no third party plugins except the ones I made. Can you also check my questions in that tracker, especially regarding plugins?
    How to Clean Private Messages?
    Hello,

There is some way to delete private messages without use the database?

The cometchat did a huge mess in my website due the enconding charset and now there is several "junk" messages in the private messages from SE.
      Donna This would be a great feature request. This should be able to be added to the task scheduler on a set schedule but it could cause users to lose messages they wanted to save.
    • 2 more comments