Welcome to SocialEngine User Community! This is an idea exchange area for SocialEngine users. Ask questions or post your feature requests here. This isn't an official support channel, so if you need support, please open a support ticket

Post Something!

Recent Activity

• commented on Login with facebook, twitter etc

New Members

Online Now

11 guests

PHP Help

Login with facebook, twitter etc
    Hi All

Im maybe embracing login with facebook  and twitter.

I know this will add more to my terms and conditions.

But i wondered if anyone knew of advantages, or what it gives you.

I deal with marketing on a clothing brand which heavily relys on facebook pixel.
    Facebook pixel does awesome for me with facebook analytics and targeting for campaigns.

I wondered does login with facebook give tthe same?

If someone signsup with facebook can i see their facebook page?
    Does it collect info good for facebook analytics?

or is it as simple as just fetching their email, name, dob?
      PoeticJustice [231316,Donna] if you know any blog posts on this subject id be appreciative of it...... think im getting bit confused on facebook integration as im heavily dealing with facebook pixel
    • 3 more comments
    Facebook Login Integration Error.
    Hi All,
    Today I start facebook Integration but unable to complete, I have done this earlier too but I don't know what I am missing here.

Can you please check and help.
    Login Link

Thanks
      Donna Did you follow the tutorial?
      http://support.socialengine.com/php/customer/en/portal/articles/1796979-admin-panel---settings->-facebook-integration?b_id=14386
      this works for me. Please check it and ensure you have done it as shown.
      • 0 1 vote
    About social engine database
    Is there any detailed guide about the tables created by social engine? I am looking for the detailed information for each action of social engine what data is written to which tables.
      Donna This tutorial, http://support.socialengine.com/php/customer/en/portal/articles/2121821-how-to-remove-delete-a-plugin-from-your-website?b_id=14386 , mentions where to find the database files. That would probably be the best place to look for information as to what tables are made. We don't have a tutorial that shows everything done but the files will be a key to much of the information you need.
    Licences and callbacks to verify products
    This is something that's bothered me for a while.

more so played on my mind.

can the process of the licences with SE and 3rd parties be explained.

there was a day basically that I installed a plugin, and when activating on install, it wouldn't have it. I searched online for the devs website and it was temporarily down.
    soon as site was up again, the plugin installed.

there was another time also where I was on my site and a plugin completely failed to work, the widgets just wasn't displaying, I cleared cache everything and still no joy.... and discovered the devs website was down for maintenance...

now these issues coild could have been 100% coinsidental.
    ans I never questioned it until someone asked me to help them on their se site.

but they asked this question on licences.

they asked do these plugins only work based on the companies still being active.
    they said what if I buy this plugin install it, their site is down for maintence, database errors or they decided to give it all up.....

what happens then, because how would you save settings of a plugin, that shows the callback product key code that's linked to their website.

so yea how does this work, could we spend thousands on our site and potentially because the licences communicate with devs, if they left or site was down, does that kill all our plugins by that company?

and if their site is down for maintenance, does that kill the plugin from functioning until their site is up and running again???? 
      Donna We do understand our clients' concerns and we will keep this topic open for discussions. Feel free to discuss this but please do keep confidential issues private and please do not post any coding examples for any that do come and respond.

[508,PoeticJustice] we will be considering our clients' concerns with regards to callbacks that keep an open connection. We will be discussing matters and have answers soon.
      SocialEngineAddOns [508,PoeticJustice] , SocialEngineAddOns licensing system callbacks to verify valid product installs only. Our plugins will keep on working fine even if our website goes down; there is absolutely no dependence there.

PS: Topics such as Licensing system are highly confidential and should not be discussed on public forums.

You can do a PM in case you have any queries.
      Donna We've answered in the other thread asking about the cores by third parties. I'll have more details today I hope. We don't want callbacks such as you describe. That's the biggest concern from clients today and prospective clients as well.
    • 7 more comments
    Force users to flush their cache
    Im official about to update live site after loads of testing.One common thing that happened and seemed to happen on all staging servers was cache issues, loading up old data etc.Even when i go into dev mode, flush the cache there, actual members still seem to see the issue, not everyone is savy enough to clear internet settings etc.Is there a good way to force this, via htaccess or anything?
      PoeticJustice Its not that i want to exactly force the flush of cache, its just i noticed that since SE dropped icons for fontawesome, there has been some weird duplication icons in the activity page......... and only way to fix is flushing cache.

Sending an email asking uses to flush your cachhe feels very awkard.

Wasnt sure if the leverage cache control would fix something like this

example below

## EXPIRES CACHING ##
      <IfModule mod_expires.c>
      ExpiresActive On
      ExpiresByType image/jpg "access 1 year"
      ExpiresByType image/jpeg "access 1 year"
      ExpiresByType image/gif "access 1 year"
      ExpiresByType image/png "access 1 year"
      ExpiresByType text/css "access 1 month"
      ExpiresByType text/html "access 1 month"
      ExpiresByType application/pdf "access 1 month"
      ExpiresByType text/x-javascript "access 1 month"
      ExpiresByType application/x-shockwave-flash "access 1 month"
      ExpiresByType image/x-icon "access 1 year"
      ExpiresDefault "access 1 month"
      </IfModule>
      ## EXPIRES CACHING ##
      gs My concern (as a User) is that I'd never want an app to automatically flush my browsers cache - ever. Yes, I can see where it could be useful, but it can also prevent other apps from running properly. Some Users may not mind if their cookies/etc. were removed, others might. But there are other more crucial apps (for example, I've used accounting and manufacturing apps) that are web-based that if the cache was flushed by another app, it would require rekeying data which would not be acceptable. I can see this as a User setting in a Browser (i.e. every X minutes automatically clear cache) but for a business to decide to do this automatically to all their Users is IMHO 'not cool' :) even if it's beneficial to the App. IMHO, Inter-app interference is not a good thing :( What I wish browsers could do is clear cache per Tab (ex. when I've got 10-20 Tabs open and I wish to clear some of the SE Tabs but not other SE Tabs or other websites). This often occurs when I've got 2-4 different sites open (dev, testing, staging, live, SE 4.8.13, SE 4.9.xx, etc) and I wish to clear cache for all Tabs for one of those sites but leave the others alone.
      Mikel Coreclark Hei> I'm sorry if I don't fully understand your question.
      From what I know about flushing cache. there are 2 locations that you can flush.
      1 is on your admincp and the second is on your hosting server.
      Sometimes just flushing your admincp is not enough, you may need to clear your hosting server cache. This should clear most or all of the unwanted data and old updates.

as for getting members to clear their personal PC / device cache, you wont have any control over that. you could however message or send an onsite notice to members and ask them to clear their cache ??
      Some systems like mine (windows 10) has a built in cache delete setting so when ever I exit internet my browser and cache are cleared automatically. This is a setting set as an option for most devices that I know of.

mikel.
    • 3 more comments
    "Like" customizing
    I want to use an alternate term/icon for the standard "Like" in the Like-Comments-Delete-Share menu.  Any suggestions?  Can it be done?
      SocialEngineAddOns [247344,Steve Honikman] We will be happy to help you out with your requirement!
      You may contact us here: https://www.socialengineaddons.com/contact for further discussion on this.
      Mikel Coreclark Hei. It can be done but there could be negative reactions.
      As all actions such as 'like' 'share' 'comment' are scripted and have pathways and links, you may have to alter script which will have a negative impact on your SE licence/terms.

In some cases all you need to do is alter words in the 'language' section
      But in my experience 'like' is a universal action that everyone recognises. and therefore best left as 'like'
      I have broken parts of my old site by doing similar action / changes.

What you are best off doing is looking for an app/module that can add such changes to your site. there are great developers that can make one for you.
      The best I know that I have used are:
      Scripttechs (donna)
      social engine addons.
      There are others also.

mikel.
    • 1 more comment
    Edit My Profile
      PoeticJustice Hi [231316,Donna]

You mentioned internet privacy laws etc.

I personally hide all these shown above, as it looks so messy on signup.

I also dont show the profile fields on the personal profiles.

But if your terms and conditions state that this data has to be public etc so admin can see, surely thats ok?
      Donna This looks like it would be a customization. Due to various internet privacy laws, you would want to be careful what you disable and this doesn't look like something we would add as a script feature.
    Errors during sign up (Fresh installation)
    Hi! I downloaded and installed yesterday (fresh install) the latest version of SE 4.9.2p1

The issue I have is that I cannot get a user to sign up because I get errors like show in the photo.

It starts by going to sign up url (partyreports.com/signup)
    I fill my information in
    I click next and get an error like Not valid email, passwords do not match, I haven't accepted the terms and conditions.. and shows me again the form to fill my info in

I fill everything in again..

Then I get the error with the stack trace as shown in the attached image.

Can anyone help or suggest anything?

Thanks
      Donna Are you sure your server meets the requirements? We aren't seeing this issue on other sites, that I know of, so you might want to send a ticket in to support.
    How can I add a Widget in between of an activity feed like in facebook?
    Hi all,
    I was looking to add some widgets to add after some particular no of feed like after 5 feeds or 10 feeds in between of an activity feed process?
    As in Facebook you might have seen that after 5 feed there is an suggestion for friends come or some ads or other things.
    So I just wanted to know is this possible to do in SocialEngine or have any of you guys have done this earlier?
    If yes than can you help me to achieve this or no than can you suggest how I can get this done?

Thanks
    Rajesh
      SocialEngineSolutions [246165,Rajesh Kumar Rathor] : Yes, we have this solutions in our "Advanced News & Activity Feeds Plugin: https://www.socialenginesolutions.com/social-engine/advanced-news-activity-feeds-plugin/" where you can show the Ads (created using SocialEngine Ads) and friends suggestions just like Facebook (using People You May Know plugin: https://www.socialenginesolutions.com/social-engine/people-you-may-know-plugin/).
      You can view the demo here: http://demo.socialenginesolutions.com/ .
      Test account details: test1@sesolutions.com / 123456
      Donna You would need to code something for this or have it made. Most likely as a module and use hooks so you don't fiddle with editing source in the feed. I'm not sure if there's a plugin for this already. Did you check the marketplace?
      Ankit Bhardwaj How to close a post?
    • 3 more comments
    HTML editor
    I was creating a custom menu for my website when I noticed that it suddenly stopped updating. I've played with the characters and began to realize that it appears as though it has a character limit. Has anyone else encountered this issue?
      Donna One of our lead developers checked and said the code has no restrictions for this. He said the database itself can have a limit but he doubts you are putting that much in it.

He said it would be helpful for you to post the code you are trying to add as it could have html errors or something.
      Brandon Buchanan From my understanding there is a difference between characters and lines of code. If this block has a character limit it will hinder the number of lines you can add.
      Brandon Buchanan Does the HTML block in the layout editor have a character limit?
    • 5 more comments
    Twitter logo - need feedback please
    Hello friends, after i have enabled twitter service on my website , when i go to compose new message page the twitter icon appears on the bottom to publish my message also on twitter ... i think this is an error first of all because why should i publish on twitter a private message ?
    Please give me some feedback if this is happening also for you ...thank you !

4tMcmy.png
      Gabry If already posted this i will like to ask ... is any way to disable the ADD Link, photo etc. ? I know i can hide them by css code, but maybe someone has another idea. Thank you !
      Donna This appears to be a bug. Have you already submitted it to our Github issue tracker?
    • 2 more comments
    Social Engine Theme issue (seTweaks)
    Does anyone know if I should seek support from Social Engine or seTweaks (Integrity Theme) for support?  It requires a fee which is why I am asking.  My problem is that my Main Navigation Menu appears to be corrupt.  It shows in the vertical position instead of horizontal and I have tried everything I can think of to fix it to no avail.

https://www.the-angel-network.com/members/home

Thank you!  Any guidance would be appreciated.

Cynthia
      Gabry Hello [246328,Cynthia Silk] , as also Donna said usually we work in here with issues about SE default but we are always glad to help each other ...as i understand you use Integrity theme, then first that you need to do is to follow the steps to install that theme and place the right widgets in the correct positions.As i know seTweaks offers a step by step install of their themes.
      For the problem that you have now, access from Layout Editor the Header of you website and insert in there the correct widgets that Integrity theme is using ... for example in the header you have to put the main menu from Integrity theme not the core main menu as it can be difference in css codes that make your menu to appear bad. Try to start with this info and feel free to come back here.
      Donna Hi Cynthia,

For third party products, you would want to contact the developer as we don't provide support for those. If it's an issue with your site with default stuff, feel free to contact our support. Do you see the same issue with default themes?