Need feedback: Likes vs. Upvotes
I have a question for everyone. For your SE Cloud site, do you plan to use up/downvotes or likes for reactions to posts and comments?

We are trying to know what we should make the default for new SE Cloud sites. Thanks!
    monti I would use likes because i don't want any negativity. a user getting down voted heavily will probably never come back again.
    Kimmie It should be "likes" only. I have chosen to use up/down voting for my site and came up with a cool way down votes are to be used. At least I think it's cool ;-).
      awwal [1007,VoiceBee] whats d way cant share it wt us?
        Kimmie [151,awwal] We are in the process of weighing this out again. Will let you know what we decide.
    Soundman i like the up/down arrows.
    seTweaks Likes and no dislikes.
    Alexander Korf a social community turns political really fast when you enable dislikes (vote down). Especially in catering to large communities you'll get bands of organised dislikes. Especially when you have natural born leaders that tend to give sharp feedback, they will be turned of by many dislikes.

an extra argument is this; for engagement a person logs in and looks at his notifications to find out if someone replied or liked his addition tot the community. It is VERY dissappointing to find ou your addition has been disliked.

to reiterate: compare the proces of interaction, a content item was added, the author is of course interested what the community thinks of his addition. He logs in the next hour/day/week and sees 30 notifications. With excitement he goes to his addition and 2 things can happen:
    1. be dissappointed to find out he has been disliked and leave.
    2. be happy about the likes he received

your choice.
    J-Kay Up/Downvotes < better
    s.ziyad but i intend to use | 5 star rating ! for posts. Likes for comments.
    macagoraga I recently read a newspaper article about a psychologist who spoke of the way of socializing in social networks.

In short he stated that social networks, primarily Facebook, has a strong interaction limit.
    This is caused by the fact that users can just click "Like" for a post. He gave an example of a post where a user write,
    "I am sad, my grandmother died". The others obviously can not click "Like" on a post like that. The limit is that
    users can not express their emotions as they wish. I looked for other information on the internet and
    I found this new social network: http://www.emotid.com/

In this social network users can better express their emotions.

For example, they can not just click on I like or not like (up or down), but also saddens me, makes me sick, makes me angry, ... express better their emotion.
    sanaa likes
    Soundman a dislike isnt the same thing as vote down. a vote down can just mean a post is less relevant then another.
    Mike I like them both, The ups/downs are awesome and different however "monti" and "Alexander Korf" make a great point. Not sure if this is a great idea but it is an idea and might create more of an issue but have a pop up box asking why you dislike this. This could eliminate trolls that just like to dislike things.
    twilightwarrior Likes
    Edwin Rivera Up/down votes are better and more attractive. Also, they will be a point of difference vs most social networks.
    Simone Paciaroni Depend what kind of style you want for the new SE, i think that "Like" is more "social network" and "up vote" more "social news".
    I "like" more UPVOTE.
    (deleted) upvote or like - same shit, just another name ;)
    David Grubs I like the "Like" option. I wouldn't mind testing the up/downvotes with my community. Could you have Like/Dislike options?
      Alex Benzer Up/downvotes are simiar to like/dislike, but the names of the likers/dislikers aren't visible
        monti can i just have the "like" option.. i don't want "disliking". kind of like facebook.
  • 1 more comment