SE Cloud Theme Challenge!
Why not liven things up now!

Why don't we organize a little challenge for third party and amateurs!

Let's have fun on the next coming months!
    Robin Please VOTE for this ! We need participants
    [73,seTweaks] [196,Eugene] [6223,Arnfinn Ingebrigtsen] [124,Bogdan] [3812,Psd Spot] [411,Yana T.] [119,Simone Paciaroni] [388,Belan Ivan] etc...
      seTweaks Robin,

There are still problems in the cloud themes, we can NOT include JS and image files in the templates and hosting these assets on our servers will cost us alot. That's why you don't see much cloud templates. SocialEngine is aware of this issue and we've been told that they're working on it.

SocialEngine promised the developers a Dev account which we haven't received that too. Alex mentioned a few days ago that their doing the final touches tho.

I don't think any of the "known" developers will participate in this contest due to these issues. also 3 months SEC access is not a tempting prize ;)
        Arnfinn Ingebrigtsen You can host the CSS,java and images with the use of the media manager in cp. I have also struggled with these issues and that the functions are not working 100%, howevere, I have managed overwrite most of them. So it should be manageable
          seTweaks Yes but I'm talking about distribution of theme packages. Most users do not have the knowledge to upload the asset files manually and add the references in the code.

The developers and SE staff are aware of this and have been discussed a lot.
          Kimmie Good job [6223,Arnfinn Ingebrigtsen] . So are you doing a completely new design?
            Arnfinn Ingebrigtsen Been surfing for ideas today, and I think I have one now. But that is more a blog like system. But there is a chance that I am turning it down for this competition. As it should be a more social like system. But I am getting there :D
            • 0 2 votes
        Kimmie Ahh come on seTweaks. What about 3 months plus my vote? LOL.
          seTweaks Haha
            seTweaks I'm sure they'll do but that's not the point. We need Dev accounts and resolving templates assets issue.
            • 0 2 votes
            Kimmie I think they should go for this and give a year.
            • 0 1 vote
      Arnfinn Ingebrigtsen I have already started on my theme :D A pretty clean theme.. take a look at the demo here.. http://www.faceit-norge.com/bricks
        Shane Liddell Looking good already Arnfinn!
        Kimmie [6223,Arnfinn Ingebrigtsen] Impressive! Keep it up. Will you design more than one?
          Arnfinn Ingebrigtsen I am always looking for inspiration, so I might Get more themes for the contest.
          Thanks by the way :)
        Pixythemes.com Before we start on this, I think we should wait for an official answer. And...I was thinking that would be more interesting to make a blind contest :)
    Robin What do you think [37,Alex Benzer] [52,Jung Kim] [250,Drew Frey] ?
      Alex Benzer AWESOME idea guys! Let's do it! If you can get some traction on this, we'll definitely blog about it.
        Robin Happy to hear this! Think about few rules with [52,Jung Kim] ...
    Shane What's the prize?
      Robin I was thinking something like 1,2 or 3 months free running fee! Of course if the custom theme is free too for all the communities!
    Kimmie [6223,Arnfinn Ingebrigtsen] Good luck. Can't wait to see!
      Arnfinn Ingebrigtsen Thank You :D I hope I Can get an extreme cool theme for you guys. Hopefully a html5, so it can be more dynamic to all devices.
    Kimmie You guys DESIGN and I will be one of the JUDGES, lol ;-).
      Robin [1007,Kim] [73,seTweaks] you will probably win. Let's present everyone something on 01/03!
        Kimmie Hey Robin. Thanks for the compliment. I forgot to tell you our launched date has been pushed back to March 1st due to circumstances out of [73,seTweaks] and my control. Yeah setweaks would definitely win hands down. They are just that freaking GOOD! Yep, my go to designer for LIFE!

Anyway, how have you been Robin?
    Pixythemes.com Very interesting idea! But you were thinking at unique designs or "copycats" of other websites? I think the contestants should submit an unique design, maybe inspired by other websites, but not the same.
      Robin You're right they should be unique design inspired from famous site. Not an exact copy, it's too easy.
        Pixythemes.com I am glad that you think the same. I hope someone will organise this challange further. And, in the end, all the community should vote for a favorite :)
    Arnfinn Ingebrigtsen are you thinking concepts or complete designs?
    Kimmie [2440,Robin] you are always coming up with something. Great conversational post! ;-)
    Arnfinn Ingebrigtsen when is the deadline on this?
      Robin It's a shame [6223,Arnfinn Ingebrigtsen] . We are only few on this. Let's wait a little.
  • 15 more comments