Zend Framework 2/3 migration
Are there any plans or possibly work in progress to migrate SE PHP to a newer ZF version (2 or even 3)?

There was an announcement about a month ago that ZF1 will no longer get security updates after Sep 28, 2016 https://framework.zend.com/blog/2016-06-28-zf1-eol.html

New versions of ZF are also considerably faster, using PHP7 benefits. Such migration will definitely require quite some work from 3rd party developers as well as from SE team. But it definitely worth the efforts as new libraries/scripts/updates aren't likely to appear for ZF1 any longer.

So hopefully you consider or already work on SE 5 that will use a newer ZF.

Stepan Mazurov Yup, we do plan to upgrade to ZF 3 - it will be some time, however, and most certainly as part of the next major (SE PHP 5) version.
      Eugene Stepan, thanks for the answer. That's sounds exciting, I hope the work is already in progress.

When do you plan to notify 3rd party developers about SE 5 changes? I believe plugins and themes should be rewritten as well. Or do you plan to keep the compatibility somehow?
        Stepan Mazurov We do plan to notify devs (and share pre-release code) on SE 5 so that plugins will be updated. TBD on compatibility, but hopefully its more of a conversion than a rewrite (which is our plan for SE5 Core)
      gs Yikes - I haven't even read an ETA for 4.8.9 delivery or PHP7 support, so SE PHP5 seems to be way way off into the very distant future. Sigh... oh well.
        Eugene This will definitely be the biggest challenge for SE team since the change of management. However it's not something which can be avoided.