4.9 Sneak Peek - SocialEngine | SocialEngine Blog (blog.socialengine.com)
Awesome! We're ringing in the new year with a sneak peek for you of our upcoming 4.9.0. Lots of nice things coming with this release! 

Our team has been very busy during the holidays, nights, weekends and through rain and snow getting this 4.9 version ready for all of our valued clients. We're happy to bring you a short sneak peek so you can see how nice it looks and some of what's coming. 

We are very excited that it's so near now! Let us know your thoughts as we always love to hear from you. :)

Thank you for being so amazing!

Donna Adding some previews of the new things coming, in this thread, https://community.onsocialengine.com/post/6035933/4-9-teasers . Will add the changelog too, just so you all can see all of the progress we've made.
    PoeticJustice I would really love to be a beta tester for social engine 4.9

Just as I'm very active with it and found a number of bugs, I know my way round it really well, and finding various things. I'm very active on GitHub lately too ha
    • 0 1 vote
      Donna I wish I could reply directly to your post below but this forum doesn't allow that. I've asked to change to SEPHP as a tech forum needs different things than this set up allows.

I totally agree about hosting and had the same issues with arvixe and with hostgator. The difference for me was that the owner of arvixe, Arvande, was very rude to me and quite chauvinistic. Hosted there for years and hostgator too. Sites were always down, same issues you had. I've not tried TMD but they are a recommended so I assume they work well.

I also found a great host who goes above and beyond for my sites. Cazaratech hosting. I won't link it as that would look like I'm promoting them when I'm just giving my own feedback about hosting.

Thanks for your input. :)
        PoeticJustice TMD are aweful, 4 friends used them and server would always be down and had to raise ticket. This was for a SE site, another had ecommerce and other was point of reference site just basic HTML
      Spirit Silverwind Same here honestly

I've been seriously debating setting up like a Bug Wiki or a entire Git hub page dedicated to both Social engine bugs and SEAO bugs and anytime I find a bug just list to that which will contain all the info to prove it is a issue with something...

The amount of bugs I have found with both base SE (none plugin and none touched - as in fresh installed)and SEAO bugs is just astounding and as a community leader who is stuck on this platform I want to help them iron this stuff out but the current methods to report this stuff is becoming a hassle, or stuff keeps getting randomly closed when its actually a issue.

I honestly feel like some of the teams testers honestly have no clue or experience in testing and thats why they aren't seeing the problems we are facing. They need to start signing up for some of our websites and see first hand or let us do a screenshare or something
        PoeticJustice I just noticed another bug tonight with the spam and login history tool.

Then there was the bugs with profile signup on Apple devices, and the multiselect / browse members search bug.

I had to stop using SEAO after a while, sooo many issues, even when I had bugs it would be either my fault or take ages for response or even a fix.

I began custom work via social engine solutions, I personally can't make the plugins but I have such a great friendship with them now for all custom work, that I give them ideas of great plugins and they think about it, and if good they make them or make my ideas within another plugin.... such as advance members, I wanted custom plugin for members levels to have unique home and profile pages, they quoted me but at time I couldn't afford and suggested why don't the make it for the public users to buy, so they incorporated in advance members that feature .... so I purchased it ;)

My site is 90% social engine solutions an 10% SEAO for email templates and advance search.

SES support is awesome, if I ever notice a bug they update the download files within 24 hours and then send me the files to change manually incase I don't want to do the update package.
        • 0 1 vote
          Donna I can't test the spam issue well as I'm using localhost. I'm sure our technicians will test it to see if we need to work on that area. I think the search is just by member name perhaps (for the "member" input box). However, it's hard for me to confirm that when my local install is just me on it and my demo for my plugins is set up just to allow the 4 users I created.
            PoeticJustice im going to do a video and paste on git hub, i find making using a screen capture video helps show it in practice.
            • 0 2 votes
            PoeticJustice Was going to make a video, but in spam tools there is soooo much identifiable data, that making a video would be wrong due to data protection etc..... but i can guarantee it doesnt work
            • 0 1 vote
          Donna [508,PoeticJustice] thank you for your posts and for the nice things you said about me below. I truly am trying to help here and our team is also keen on making things better.

Once our 4.9 releases (watch for a blog with details this week), we can hopefully get things rolling on improving various processes to make things better for everyone.
            Spirit Silverwind [231316,Donna] I also agree your a good member for this team, you have also brought hope back for me as well and if I set up the stuff I'm thinking about setting up I want you to come join us to be like the middle person between the community and SE
            • 0 2 votes
            Donna We had a bit of a delay in this blog as we needed to finish a few items. The blog with details might be out late today or Monday/Tuesday next week. Sorry for any delay with this. We are so close to things though, at least we have a light at the end of the tunnel to shoot for now. :)
            • 0 1 vote
            Donna Hi [158335,Spirit Silverwind] , thanks for joining my site. I did send you a message but I don't get on my site during work time so if you respond back, it'll be later today before I check it. :)

Have a good weekend!
            • 0 1 vote
            Spirit Silverwind [231316,Donna] I went ahead and joined your website already, (Same name as I use here or close to it) Could you actually shot me a PM or something on your site?
            • 0 1 vote
            Donna Hi @Spirit Silverwind ,

Thank you for asking me to be a part of your idea. For another community, since I have my own at forum.scripttechs.com which is for all scripts, and am at this community too, I wouldn't want to join another. You are welcome to post things here or at my site if you don't want to post here, if you want me involved. I'm more than happy to in one of those settings. If you mean some sort of community site for it.
            • 0 1 vote
            Donna [185918,gs] me too! :)
            • 0 1 vote
            gs [231316,Donna] RE: blog post about 4.9 release ... I'm giddy :)
            • 0 1 vote
          Spirit Silverwind What do you think of my idea about setting up 1 fresh installed SE site, and inviting other community leaders into it and getting Donna into it where we can slowly Test everything and perhaps set up our own Github we have control over and we can link our confirmed stuff to Their github this way they can't close it and we can keep saying "we've confirmed this" We'd own the git hub and we can set it up more proper

(no offense to Se's team but) the way they handle the git hub and crap is silly, and theirs no real clean format way for us to clearly explain stuff with their current requirements for reporting.
            Spirit Silverwind [231316,Donna] while thats great and all, what we need is a bug team, A few community leaders get together, Get a discord channel or something

User A: Hey guys I found this issue on SE heres how I did it, can someone else check?, other memberson the discord go "Sure" and we confirm the bug and let you guys know, this way it has been tested already by multiple people etc...

As it stands theirs no real test community team or anything, or website for it or Chat for it nothing, just the Git hub.
            • 0 1 vote
            Donna We are actually discussing improving many things. I'll let the team know of the feedback in this thread.
            • 0 1 vote
          Spirit Silverwind What we could do is create a dev site and invite other SE leaders to join it that way when we file a bug report multiple of us can be like "we've all tested this and have confirmed it is a issue" like a team of community members working together, I can host and manage and set this up if people like the idea!, Maybe we can get donna to join us.
          • 0 1 vote
            PoeticJustice @donna dont be sorry for a long post, a long post shows you took the time to answer Q :) id rather read and essay rather than "will look into"

Agree about servers, I have a dedicated server thats managed by a great team, in the past when helping others with social engine, hosts such as TMDhosting and Arvixe where the worst hosts ever and understanding for issues were problems.
            Host gator was a joke and im possitive they purposely edited my htaccess and the WHM for Cpanel.
            had a site ready to launch, was all finished, logged on and the site was dead, and the link kept showing index.php.
            Hostgator gave so many lies like traffic and concurrent users blah blah and this was a dedicated server,

Siteground after many communications told me there servers couldnt handle more than 7 concurrent users.

then i found Fast Comet........ best hosts ever using Linode servers, i have dedicated server, the support is between 10mins- 1 hour.

plus in live chat i tested knowledge of Social Engine and the team knew the product well, and made sure the server was set up to ultimate performance.

Servers do help, and an example is I once had 60 plus concurrent users all logged in at same time, site speed still awesome, no issues except for google maps api that bugged out because it had too many requests within a hour or something.
            • 0 2 votes
            PoeticJustice yep [185918,gs] Fastcomet are the best for SE hosting.

Im scared to look who Social Engine recommend for hosting, because they use to say use Averixe, then later say use TMD lol both the worst hosts ever..... strangely had good affiliate incentives tho ;)
            • 0 1 vote
            gs [508,PoeticJustice] RE: FastComet ... amen! They are fabulous.
            • 0 1 vote
            Donna You are welcome to make a dev site within the terms of the license and test things on it. Our technicians also need to test as that's how they find the issues to fix them. If they can't reproduce an issue, it does make it harder to troubleshoot. The best thing everyone can do is to:

1. Be overly thorough when describing the bug.
            2. Always state the environment you are testing on (server configuration).
            3. Always state what OS and OS version as well as browser and browser version you are testing with.
            4. Always state the SE version you are testing with and ensure that you are ONLY testing with the most current stable release.
            5. Always test on a "vanilla" install with unedited default theme, no customizations and no third party plugins.
            6. Post screenshots when you can.
            7. Try to post a video of the issue if possible.

Whether 100 people on one site can reproduce something, or only one person, if our technician can't see the issue they can't fix it. Sometimes an issue on a site is due to that server's configuration. That's why you might have many people testing something on one site and find an issue but we may have thousands of clients that say they can't reproduce the issue, nor can our technicians. At that point, it looks like a site issue and the bug is marked as cannot reproduce and closed.

Noting that what works on one site could break on another one due to environment, customizations, settings, etc. That's why it's sometimes necessary to also come check on a client's site so that might be something requested as well.

I used to work in the Git of the other script I worked at. I did recently test a few of the bugs for @PoeticJustice and even had an issue reproducing one until I re-read what he posted and tried things a few different ways. It takes that sometimes.

Sorry for the very long post but I want you to know that we are committed to improving things and do take everyone's feedback to heart.

Thank you for posting and for reading this.
            • 0 1 vote
            Spirit Silverwind [508,PoeticJustice] sadly SE will most likely never ask us to do something like this, but if enough of us did it and got together and did a big bug hunt etc, and all confirmed the bugs, they wouldn't have much of a choice but to do something about it, (Win win)

This is how people push software creators to fix stuff, they create a team, set stuff up themselves and then go "here look" and finally they go "oh crap" and things get done... If I started this team would you join me? since you are most likely a community owner like me?
            • 0 1 vote
            PoeticJustice [231316,Donna] is cool, I truely believe the bugs I mentioned wouldn't have been taken seriously until Donna tried and confirmed, Donna is like Obi Wan kenobi to me, she is my only hope.......... unless there is another staff member who is a hidden skywalker lol. [158335,Spirit Silverwind] I like sound of that, but it be better if SE selected or asked us who have purchased SE to have a beta tester that we test on our Dec or staging servers.
            • 0 1 vote
    Gabry [231316,Donna] What do you think about launching a demo with the 4.9 script like is in this moment ... as i understand is almost done and is on testing .. i think we can all help on testing the options and report with ideas or bugs that we can find ... this way we also can help SE team to finish the project faster ...is just an idea :D
      Donna I had asked before but launching on a beta isn't something that we'll do. We want it more polished before we roll it out for everyone to see. Put our best foot forward and all. :)

Thank you for your feedback though. We do value each client's time and appreciate your feedback. I will say that, personally, I'm excited to see it too. I can't wait to get my own sites on SocialEngine!
        Gabry Well i think we are all excited waiting the release so you are the only one that we can tease :D ... thank you for reply take care !
          Donna My pleasure and I hope you take care as well.
    Gabry Any news about the Sharing Feature ? Maybe more options like share for friends or only for one of the friends ... something like facebook has ? I know i can use some plugins but ... maybe will be nice to have a default advanced share .
      Donna Hi [77,Gabry] ,

Was it on the original list of things included in the 4.9 roadmap? I'm knee deep in testing github issues for another client here in this thread or I would hop over to that blog to see. It would help me immensely if you knew if it was included in that roadmap as most things on it are in our 4.9 upcoming already. :)
        Gabry As i can see there are some improved features on Wall but nothing about sharing ... it just jumped in my eyes this feature now that i am working a little on my website and i could see that i can share only on the wall by posting with a custom message ... i think will be nice to have more options ...thank you.
          Donna yes, this could be a good feature [77,Gabry] . I don't see it listed in our Github, https://github.com/SocialEngine/phpv4-issues , would you like to add it please?
            Gabry Yes of course ...thank you for your reply ...take care !
            • 0 2 votes
          Gabry http://blog.socialengine.com/2015/07/09/introducing-the-se-php-4-9-0-roadmap/
    Spirit Silverwind I really hope this fixes the token issues with friends (still a issue) fixes blocking, Adds gif support, fixes up URL Catching (preferably uses clean grab vs the way it grabs urls) fixes the issue that if a link meets up with 'more' and you click the link it wont register the full link, fix issues with admin panel settings

Blocking is the one I want to see a fix to the most...... This has been a issue since first day of my purchase... it works 1 way.. which is easily abused, Updated Themes, Also the ability to organize your plugin listing would be greatly appreciated!

also will we need to pay for this update or will it be provided free?
    • 0 1 vote
      Donna I missed answering your last question regarding access to the upgrade download. Minor updates such as 4.1 to 4.2 are provided free of charge. These updates are released often - usually about once per month. Major updates such as 4.x to 5.x can be purchased for a small upgrade fee (usually between $25 US and $50 US) and include a massive amount of new functionality and improvements. As an exception, version 4 was provided free of charge to all current clients.
        Spirit Silverwind So if 4 is a exception will 4.9 be free that was the question? I honestly think whatever patch that includes fixes such as (Blocking etc) should be free, that is something that should be working when a client purchases SE, base functions that should be working out of the box no matter what upgrade they are in should be given to current users for free.

Blocking is a prime example, and something I and many others have been complaining about for a while.... I have lost ALLOT of users because blocking doesn't work correctly.
          Donna Hello, 4 is the exception in that it was offered free for all clients to download. :) that means that you get the 4.x access to download when releases are made to this version. So you'll have access to 4.9 in your account when it is released.
      Donna Hi [158335,Spirit Silverwind] ,

Thank you for your feedback. I am not sure about the token issue. Do you have a link to the Github issue that you posted for this?

We do have gif support coming in this version as our other post had shown. :) For URL grabbing, iframely support is also coming in this version. Perhaps that will help for what you need.

I'm not sure which admin panel settings you are mentioning. Do you have links to the Github issues so we can check?
        Spirit Silverwind @Donna

Countless times I've provided my professional level testing, and countless times I've gone in circles with the team trying to tell me its a issue with my server box when I can repeatedly reproduce the same issues on your guy's demo site, I got tired of my tickets being closed and being told that the issue is on my end (when its not) I have done multiple test installations and tested with and without plugins, clean installs, different server boxes etc, and can reproduce most of the bugs/issues I find daily...

I have tried writing reports on git hub only to end up in arguments or fighting with a few SE members about how it 'is' a problem

if you truly are interested in knowing the issues I found I wrote a entire well documented post on Ex Creators - http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:qV_5OhPZT1AJ:excreators.com/community/forums/topic/130/thinking-about-se-stop-read-this+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

This is my personal problems/community problems with this engine right now, I have a entire history with bug testing and I have done professional level bug tracking/ bug hunting before for many people, so I know how to bug test.
        • 0 1 vote
          Donna Just tested the Member ID issue by deleting a member and then signing up after. It didn't give them the same ID, it incremented and gave the next in line so now I have 1,2,4,5, etc. I am missing User 3.
          Donna I think I found all of your Github issues and commented on most of them. Some were closed by you so I didn't test those. Please let me know if I missed any.
          Donna So far, I've found bugs that were fixed and closed and some suggestions that are open still. Just letting you know I'm checking things. It doesn't look like we've just been closing all of your bug reports though as I've found a few closed and fixed. Perhaps you thought when they closed some that the bugs were not being fixed? https://github.com/SocialEngine/phpv4-issues/issues/454 that is one that was closed because it was fixed. :) I'll keep looking at the rest.
            Spirit Silverwind This is still a "intermittent" issue, I get this issue still on my website when accepting friendships it will say no token match ID or something, i'll get a screenshot next time it happens.
            • 0 1 vote
            Donna Hi,

Regarding https://github.com/SocialEngine/phpv4-issues/issues/523 that one actually was at first just a browser cache issue as I had the same problem but it cleared up when I cleared browser cache in Firefox. If I used chrome, it wouldn't clear up. As we had so many not able to clear it to work, our developers changed the setting some in order to fix it to be less "ticky". So it was technically an issue in the browser as it was causing the download to timeout. It's been fixed now though so that there is a longer delay before the download times out. (yes it would sometimes show that error right away and sometimes not) I had to keep accessing via firefox as it was the only browser I could make work at the time.

https://github.com/SocialEngine/phpv4-issues/issues/467 that issue is harder for me to figure out but I see our lead developer answered. It looks like something was done that shouldn't have been done yet. Sometimes, that can happen if one of our developers updates something too soon as it was slated for 4.9.0 and he/she probably mistook the version it was going in. However, 4.9.0 will have a zend update. I think you'll like this version coming.

I do realize how frustrating it can be when bugs are submitted and are not able to be reproduced or when things are not explained fully. For the latter, we'll do better in our answers from now on. Should you get answers that are not well explained, be sure to ping me or to contact us so we can see if we can explain it more. If you think it's not being tested properly, let us know as well. Not everything will be a bug though. Some things can be from server issues, plugins, browser issues, random flukes (I've had that on my sites many times before), etc. We do need to be able to reproduce an issue in order to fix it, whether that's on our own testing sites or on your site if we ask for access.

We do appreciate your contributions and hope you will continue to contribute here in our community and at our Github.
            • 0 1 vote
            Spirit Silverwind but see this one hasn't been fully fixed, while accepting friends no longer provides a token, 'sending friendships' every now and then will say "no token match" or something along those lines, this happens on my clean installation as well.

Yes I'm aware some of my problems have been resolved, but what I meant by going in circles, I'll link a thread to show you what I mean...

https://github.com/SocialEngine/phpv4-issues/issues/523 is a prime example, they kept telling me both via email and on github it was a caching issue, This was a issue on their end and they didn't want to accept that it was... if their website is built off the social engine platform, social engine itself has INSANELY bad caching problems!, I had wiped my cache, hard reset my browser, checked fresh install browsers etc and yet I was consistently told "its on my end" well it wasn't, Some of us troubleshot and test this stuff before we open our mouths you know?

here's another example, https://github.com/SocialEngine/phpv4-issues/issues/467

This one confuses me because its like how can you not know when you upgrade a framework?, I was told indirectly that I basically didn't know what I was talking about, until I posted side by side code differances showing the numbers, then they went "Oh ya we did do that" How can you not know what your doing to your own stuff?, I deal with this stuff almost daily and even I know what I'm doing when I make changes small or big...

Here's another bug for you, on your notifications when I click comment (On this page) it doesn't take me to the correct comments.
            • 0 1 vote
          Donna Hi @Spirit Silverwind ,

We brought me on board from phpFox (I was data66 there) https://community.onsocialengine.com/post/5751137/welcome-donna in order to help with client feedback, documentation, this community, etc. Issues in the past are unfortunate but we want to improve.

If the bugs you found before are still an issue, we would love to take a look at the reports you made and do some testing. I will test the ones that I can test on my own live server and my local development sites. My own sites will migrate soon to SE as well. I think having a live site on SE helps me to really dive into the script and any issues found in a live environment.

For now, while I'm waiting to get those imported, I do have a live testing site and three local environments. Would you please link the bugs here for me? If you can't find them, please feel free to submit the bugs again if they are in the current 4.8.13 version. Please just put one issue at a time per github report though. It makes it too hard to test bugs if more than one is included in a report.

If you have features you need, please also post those so we can have a look, one at a time per github report.

I do see that we have big improvements coming to the blocking feature. :) Reading what we have, I believe it will be what you want. I hope it can be finished by the 4.9 stable release.

Thanks again for being part of our community and for helping us to improve.
          • 0 1 vote
            Spirit Silverwind [231316,Donna]

I honestly think a focus group would be great, it would give community leaders that use this platform more of a voice, it would take less then a day to set this up and wouldn't cost or put any legal problems on Social engine team, Heck I Could have something like that set up by the end of today, Create a slack group, invite community leaders, invite say someone from the SE Team who can choose to get involved or just choose to read over

we can make a much better list of bugs that have been tested by multiple community leaders and use something easier and better then Github (no offense but github is pretty poor)
            • 0 1 vote
            Donna Hi [158335,Spirit Silverwind] ,

Yes, I read the full thread at Ex. I'll try testing some of your issues on my 4.8.13 site and see if I can reproduce any of them that were closed or any that may remain open.

Regarding a focus group or something like it, it's something on a list of things I wanted to do as well. I can't promise it but it is on my list of improvements I would like for our community. :)
            • 0 1 vote
            Spirit Silverwind [231316,Donna]

I can link them sure or you could just view my profile on Git hub and view all the tickets I've made.. https://github.com/SpiritWolfie?tab=overview&from=2015-12-01&to=2015-12-31 to 2016 and I think 2017 are the area's your wanna check

I have a suggestion, Why not get a slack or something, or set up a email that be used to communicate, What I would do is invite some of the community leaders who have background in testing this stuff and know what a large community needs to come be apart of a invitational only based team, we can get together and share bugs, things we're having issues with etc, this will not only allow you guys to have more bug testers, but also provide insight from us owners on the issues and current problems we're having..

I would personally offer to join this and provide all knowledge and expertise to this team if it where to be created, I think having a connection with some of community leaders would be a great way to get a idea whats going wrong with this platform etc.

Also check out my ex-creator documented post I linked you.
            • 0 1 vote
    Gabry Hello everyone ... in case you wonder why, i will like to inform you that i deleted my message regarding the problem that i had with [81,SocialEngineAddOns] support .. they contacted me fast and we have solved the problem in a professional way ... as i had in the past a very good business relationship with them, i also want to act professional and understand that is was a mistake, therefore i deleted that message ... thank you for understanding me !
      Donna Great! Glad they got it resolved for you. Thanks for the update.
      Spirit Silverwind Social engine addons is who I use primary these days, I had shady interections with other plugin creators, While SEAO may take a bit, or require a video recording of the problem they go beyond customer service, heck at one point they fixed a issue I had that was caused by Social engine itself and they fixed it...
    Sieg Just to know I am not complaining because I want a buggy SE, I am complaining because SE is missing several little things that make impossible to some communities survive. I working with SE around one year and I cant fully translate my website, I cant share links smoothly, I cant upload gifs and several other small issues. Lets be honest if you is a client and visit two websites one where all the features above are working and other where is not, which you will stay?

I entered in SE community some months after the announce of the version 4.9 and since this I am waiting for some real improvement. Unfortunately neither all times the third party developers can provide us a solution.
      Gabry I really understand your frustration about the issues that you face in this moment ... but you have to know that no script in this world will function perfect, without any bugs or "wish" of new updates or features ...as i understand you have to choose between PHPFox and SEPhp ... the easy way is to try to go on different forums with discussions about this 2 scripts ...you will see that you will find issues about both of the scripts and clients complain about both of them ... i have made a plus-minus on all the issues between this 2 scripts and i realized that i can survive better with SE ,because SE is much flexible on changes and manipulation then PHPFox ... regarding one of your issue about translating, why do you have problems ? We can help each other any time !
        Donna Cool idea to help each other with the language issues [77,Gabry] :)
        Sieg The translation tool and package management from SE is just horrible. Is not possible, by example, to disable a language, if you have a portuguese website and want that users cant select english or you delete the english folder or you will need to edit the templates to hide the select box. When you start to translate, all phrases translated are stored in a custom.csv, not a duplicated language file from the original in english. So if you dont transfer the CSV files to the language folder your custom.csv start to become a mess and after sometime is impossible to know what was translated and what was not. There isnt a language debug mode (like phpfox) where you can see in the front end what phrase is some place. Is impossible to make a exact match search.

The SE translation system really doesnt help to create multilanguage website. I could put more several others issues that it is not able to manage and this is the another reason why I am waiting the version 4.9.
          Donna I believe I mentioned in another thread at one time that we have improvements coming after 4.9 for the language system. We hope those changes will be something that you like. However, if there are specific things you need, you could submit a feature request to our github, one request per issue opened please as it makes it too hard to follow more than one item per issue submitted. :)
    Sieg We have any estimative about the release? My users are leaving my community because I dont support gifs and the actual image fetch process when sharing links is creating messy activities.
      Donna We expect it soon. We have to do beta testing and see how all of the testing goes. I expect it should be first quarter but can't narrow it down more than that without seeing how testing goes.
        Sieg I will give up to use Social Engine. With more two months probably I will have no more users since all are leaving due the problems with images and the lack of support to gifs. The first estimativa was november, second december, the last around january, now until march. If this continue we will have another year without any significant update.
          gs [231316,Donna]
          Yes, as usual you are correct - it's harder with a release and nailing down a date. No one should jump on a release date (for any product) and those that do well... their bad.

My frustration is not with missing a deadline (although missing deadlines is never good for anyone or any product), the frustration is that missing it was known way in advance and nothing was said until days/weeks later when someone asked about it. I learned over 2 decades ago that when clients are involved, it's always best to alert them of the status of projects as soon as it's known - especially if deadlines are slipping (or will be completely blown by). Missing deadlines is never good news, but it's much easier to accept if it's before the deadline so one can prepare for it. I never ever liked informing clients we may miss a deadline, but most were very understanding if they had time to prepare for it. Receiving a call like 'uh, this was supposed to be done weeks ago and we haven't heard from you - so is this how you treat us?' is never a good call to receive - and fortunately I realized that before I ever received a call like that.

And for those that are angry - well, again - that's their problem. This is software - not surgery, so they should keep things in perspective.

If SE is behind - simply let us know. People (most) are forgiving and kind (because they've probably been in that spot before on the other side of the table). Keep up the great work you're all doing - it's greatly appreciated. So glad SE brought you on board Donna. So glad :)
            Donna I'm happy to be here too and thank you. :)

We'll do better with keeping folks updated if we will be delayed should we post a goal to deliver in the future.
            • 0 1 vote
          Donna Thank you [77,Gabry] , [185918,gs] and [862,Leandro Rocha] and anyone else that is in this thread. Sorry for the late response. I've a bit of a bug today.

I've asked the team and we are trying to finish up the final few things to do. I hope we can get some form of demo or updated information to you this week if possible. We are very close to having a beta test ready for third parties to work with too.

We do need to go through good testing so that your sites don't break with a release, at least for it to be as safe as possible. Noting that anyone with third party stuff would check with those Experts before upgrading once we do have a stable release.

We do understand your frustrations. I guess we got so excited with what we were bringing back when the original 4.9 blog was posted in 2015 that we wanted to share it with everyone.

Know that we take your concerns to heart and always do our best. Our team is practically working 24/7 to get this done and done right. That is the key - done right. We don't want you having the same issues that we've seen in competitor's forums with sites breaking and completely losing members for that. We want you to have the best social networking script possible. Sure, we can't give 100% bug free as that's just not heard of in software. Even Facebook has some annoying issues with their latest updates. Playstation broke with a ps4 release once. iPhone update had to be updated again within hours of one of the releases.

Please know that we are doing our level best to get this to you.

Thanks again for your contributions and for sticking with us.
            Spirit Silverwind @Donna

Suggestion at the bottom, please let me know what you think.

if you guy's honestly take things to heart then perhaps instead of the team going circles with some of us who have a background in what we say we do, how about teaming up with us?

I have offered countless times to make a entire archive/compiled detail list of the problems my community has, and the bugs, each time I have offered I've been basically blown off, and my offer 'still stands', because as it is I am stuck with SE until my custom platform is being finished coded, and I have spent a TON of money on SE and I and my entire community am starting to really despise this platform, I and my entire community would all agree that it would be unfair to charge us for features that should work out of the box, but I would be alright paying if it fixes allot of my gripes!

Allot of us who have a growing community is realizing SE as it stands is not worth the purchase we made, I've had over 1k users and currently have 500+ on my other site, and both websites have the "Same complaints" from different users, I want to help you guys help us, Let some of us bug testers a bit more direct access to you guys, maybe a personal email we can send a compiled list to, and instead of telling us consistently its a problem with our server boxes, perhaps get someone on the team that has more experience with testing this sort of stuff.

Here is a suggestion:
            Allow some of us with more active/growing community's and who have backgrounds in this sort of stuff (running websites, know how to work the stuff to some extent etc..) to work more closely with you guys, this wont cost you or SE a single dime to allow us to be able to reach out to you more directly vs github etc..

we can do a slack or something where certain community leaders can be invited to it and we can discuss what the problems are, what the needs of a growing community is etc.. This in return will allow social engine to better tailor the updates/and fixes toward that
            • 0 1 vote
            Donna [185918,gs] Yes, we will work for more communication. It's harder with a release as saying a date makes folks jump on that date and if testing ends up taking longer to polish it up, then folks get angry at a delay. Thank you for your feedback.
            • 0 1 vote
            gs [231316,Donna]
            Thanks to you and the rest of the SE Team for your/their efforts. I'm not going anywhere :)

I know you're working hard on this (thank you) and realize that no software platform is perfect. Timely communication in the future would be helpful though - that's all. Due to this new info, I'll update to 4.8.13 and probably not worry about 4.9 at all this year. Simply can't afford the holding pattern any longer. Plus, by the end of 2017 it should be even better and more stable :)

Thanks again Donna.
            • 0 1 vote
          Gabry You have to believe that is worth to wait for this release ... SE team always listen and respect the clients wishes, therefore there is no reason for them to release very fast this major update without testing it very good ... if they will release it full with bugs again we will scream why they did it ...i am not saying that we will not find some bugs but at least we are sure that they did everything to be sure that we can build a serious and professional website using their script !
            Donna [862,Leandro Rocha] I wasn't here for the original post but have tried to get as much info as we can release regarding it, including this sneak peek. :) I'm working on getting info on a demo we are hoping to get out and to see if it'll be a public demo or invite demo of 4.9 so folks can see it.
            • 0 1 vote
            gs Yes, you are correct - the cleaner the better. BUT this was to have been done already. There's two issues here: 1) missing targets (but that often happens in software development); and 2) no communication. Once it was realized that they couldn't hit the end of the year target, an apology should have gone out with an explanation as well as a new more realistic target. We ADMINs shouldn't have to ask - info should be provided. Just like SE, we have to make business decisions based on info we have, so if/when it changes we should be made aware of it. If they're this far behind ('should be 1st qtr but can't narrow it down more than that') then that means they new back in Oct/Nov that 2016YE wasn't possible. The day (or in this case, weeks) something is due is not the time to say 'hey - we're months behind - we still have beta testing to do'). At the end of October, Stepan mentioned 'the plan' was to bring 4.9 before eoy. So SE should have informed months ago that this was impossible.

This is also something that separates good/bad 3rd-Party Devs from each other - good or bad communication.
            • 0 1 vote
            Gabry In one way i also agree with you about SE team teasing us with the release of 4.9 from July 9, 2015 ( http://blog.socialengine.com/2015/07/09/introducing-the-se-php-4-9-0-roadmap/) ... i also have a license for PHPFox as i started my first website with their script, years ago .. i know is not nice and frustrating to be teased such a long time ..but spending money for websites scripts i have learned something ... spend for something that worth .. PHPFox comes fast with releases but poor in new options .. SE team tease us with the release but when they come they "ROCK" ... that's why i quit on PHFox ... i prefer less updates and choose best updates even if they come one time per one year ... this is just my opinion and i hope you will understand me.
            • 0 1 vote
            Sieg The first time that 4.9 was announced has around one year and a half and since this we didnt received any real improvement. I have competitors and each month that pass they become big and I get smaller because I dont have some basics features that others have. Just to know my competitor is using phpfox, the script that I abandoned a year ago after a messy period. How can I compete when my basic features doesnt work?

If 4.9 was launched today I would take at least two months to a full upgrade, so each month that pass, put these features that I need more and more in the future.
            • 0 1 vote
          Donna I didn't say March though. We need to finish testing before releasing it. What issues are you having with photos? Other than gif support? Noting that link sharing is the same for many scripts if the site being shared doesn't have the right type of image. Not sure if you see the same issue with all links or only just some links.
            Sieg I have this problem with several different websites and I already confirmed that they have featured images and open graph information. I already opened a ticket for this issue since I checked in the demo and this issue also happens there, however the solution is to wait to the next release that will include a integration with iframely: https://github.com/SocialEngine/phpv4-issues/issues/530

As links are an essencial content in social networks I receive every day complain from my users about why links that they share seems so poor without images.
            • 0 1 vote
    Gabry I just killed the refresh button since 4.9 has been announced and still do it in admin home page .. so great news and the main one that excites is the responsive theme .. i think the default responsive theme will solve most of the problems that we all have "being compatible with plugins released by companies" ... maybe from now on companies will create plugins and test them on default responsive theme and not on their responsive theme ...this way at least maybe we get rid of the .css buggy codes .. hope you understand me on this.
      gs In my experience, Devs test their Plugins with SE Default Theme, so if it works there but no in whatever Theme you're using, you're on your own. Out of the many many Themes I tried, the only one I found completely compatible with all of my plugins (from 7-8 Devs) is SES SpectroMedia. The few times I've had a minor issue, they've solved it in a day or 2 at most (they have always been extremely quick to solve issues, not just reply with "we're working on it" like 1 Dev in particular that tells me that for monhts). Plus, as I've learned, there's 'responsive' and then there's 'responsive'. Some responsive themes simply create 1 column on mobile/tablets (which might be fine on my almost 5 year old Droid 4 with a tiny screen, but on my 9.7" galaxy tab, 1 column looks horrible). SES' SpectroMedia is truly responsive - larger mobile devices and tablets display 2 or 3 columns (depending on portrait/landscape and whatever else). SpectroMedia even looks great (2 or 3 columns) on my 7" galaxy tab too.

Although SE providing a Responsive Theme with 4.9 may be useful, it depends on how it provides that Responsive design. Plus, I'm used to my Theme Dev (SES) addressing & resolving issues so quickly, which I'm not sure SE can do with 'visual' issues that aren't as critical as security and other potential bugs.
        Gabry I think you are right ,but in the past in my opinion, now this day's with responsive themes and plugins... how they can test a responsive plugin if is responsive, on the default theme, that is not responsive ...
        • 0 1 vote
          gs Good point - Devs can't test with an SE Responsive Theme until there is one :) My apologies for not being clear.

All I was getting at is:
          1. No Dev or Company (SE) developes perfect software products, so just because SE creates a Responsive Theme doesn't mean that any incompatibility is the fault of Devs (i.e. it could be an issue with SE Responsive Theme)
          2. SE in the past (like most 'main' foundational software platform dev) doesn't seem to address every single little issue immediately, since there are typically more important/pressing issues and software updates at the foundational level typically take weeks/months to go through the process of 'fixing' minor issues (heck - 4.9 is already about a month late). 3rd-Party Devs (good ones) typically can resolve any issues with their Plugin in a day or 2. Bad 3rd-Party Devs may take weeks/months like SE (but for different reasons - many of which are expected due to the fact that it's a platform).

So, yes - it will be great when SE provides a Default Responsive Theme. My belief is simply that that may not be the ultimate solution here - only something to 'assume' is perfect (that may or may not be) that others will try to use for a standard of compatibility but it won't matter unless that's the Theme you choose to use. For many ADMINs, they'll still be using 3rd-Party Themes. There needs to be more of a standard that's enforced (and a review section that provides the ability to draw out this info) that is adhered to by everyone. Just my 2 cents.
    Tafida Thank you , the more you do the less we have to buy plugins and deal with kid developers who dont own up to their deficiencies, and keep playing the blame game while we loose money. thank you thank you
      Gabry You are totally right ... we prefer to pay to SE Team for new advanced features instead of spending money for a lot themes/plugins full with bugs made and launched only for making money and not care about customers ... i personally spent more then 2000 euro for themes/plugins that are not compatible or one with each other or with the SE script ... after tickets and tickets they solve one problem and create another one .. maybe with 4.9 we will have a new fresh start in create really professional products.
        gs [77,Gabry] - sorry for your loss (in money and time) There are pros/cons to the foundational engine dev (SE) creating so many Plugins for their ecosystem vs 3rd-Party Devs. I guess I've been very fortunate (lucky?) with the Devs I've used (SocialEngineMarket, SocialEngineExperts (note the 's'), SocialEngineSolutions, Webhive, Hire-Experts, Radcodes, SEAO). Much like many other products in any marketplace, I feel it's beneficial to allow others to addon. No Dev (SE or 3rdParty) can create everything - simply impossible. Plus, sometimes the 3rd-Party Plugins is much more advanced (in my case - I've replace 4 SE tools with 3rdParty Plugins).

I believe that the foundational engine (SE here) should focus on compatibility, performance, security, ADMIN needs, and similar things and allow the others to addon what the market is looking for (besides the out-of-the-box basics for those that only need basics - a good example is Groups - I don't use SE's Groups - I use 3 Plugins by SEAO because SE Groups simply didn't offer enough of what I needed, and I needed 3 'Groups' modules which isn't possible with SE). Apple/Google for instance obviously don't 'do it all'.

My belief is that many of the issues is due to shaddy companies (some of which has been taken care and weeded out with the new marketplace) as well as little coding requirements from SE to 3rd-Party Devs. Good Devs usually do it 'right', but bad Devs typically don't.

I'm grateful to SE for what they produce (and am still holding my breath for 4.9 - can't wait) as well as what the 'good' Devs do (like the Plugins I've been fortunate enough to purchase). A more extensive review process in the MarketPlace will help show what's good and not-so-good with Devs and Plugins, and allow Devs to step up in the areas they need improvement. Hopefully that will come some day (because a simple overall thumbs up/down for a Dev or Plugin doesn't really say much - and definitely not anything at all for details).

Keep up the good work SE and (good) 3rd-Party Devs.
        • 0 1 vote
          Donna [176288,SocialEngineSolutions] testing to tag you in a comment. Noting that it shows fine in autosuggest drop down.
      Donna Thank you for your feedback. Glad you like our upcoming release. :)
    Sieg I am really curious about how the actual plugins will adapt to this responsive template.
      SocialEngineAddOns We, at SocialEngineAddOns will be releasing our plugin and theme upgrades for compatibility with SE PHP 4.9.0 as soon as the new version will be out. All our plugins and themes will then be compatible with the new SE PHP 4.9 version.
        Sieg Thanks for your reply SEAO. I am really curious about this new upgrade, because seems that all these new features will represent a new challenge. I really would like to see all your plugins compatible with this new responsive theme because I own several from your plugins and neither all are compatible with your own captivate template (that is responsive). Your advanced activity feed is a good example, images overflow the screen size, texts are incorrectly break and the sharing widget is completely different (and ugly) between the desktop and mobile version.
          SocialEngineAddOns We are sorry to hear about the issues you are having with the activity feed. Please contact our support for these issues, our support team will resolve these soon on your website.
          • 0 1 vote
            gs [77,Gabry] 3rd-Party support is sometimes good or bad depending on the Dev. Early on SEAO often fixed bugs within days, but now I often experience many months (one issue took about a year). This is why I've learned when I'm concerned about any product I build-in the cost of support if it's a product I really need. I can't make a vendor work faster, but my hope is that by having a support plan I'm at least not nickel-and-dimed. SEAO produces some incredible Plugins and has some excellent people on staff. But sometimes it seems something gets in the way of them resolving issues - and after a year and a half I still haven't figured out what. I'm staying with them because overall they do a good job and I have no choice since I need most (yes, most) of their Plugins. They may be late to fix bugs/issues, but I've not had an issue they never resolved. Great Dev - just could step up their game in the support area.
            • 0 1 vote
            SocialEngineAddOns [77,Gabry] We're extremely sorry to hear about your experience with our support system. Our team has sent to you an email detailing about further process we can move forward with. We'll make sure that your issues are handled on priority and that no mis-communication happens again.
            We look forward to serving you well and providing you solutions to all the problems you've had so far. Thanks for sharing your experience with us.
            • 0 1 vote
      Donna Thank you for your feedback. I've not had a chance to test it and don't have any third party plugins to test it with but I'm sure third party developers will fully test their plugins.

I suggest waiting to ensure your plugins are updated before upgrading a website. It's also best to upgrade a clone of your main site to ensure things work as you want, for any version releases.
    SocialEngineAddOns Great improvements SocialEngine Team! SE 4.9.0 is coming with great improvements and new features which will surely benefit the community. New theme and all the UI improvements look stunning.
    4.9.0 is awaited! Thanks!
      Donna Thank you for your feedback. :) Glad you like it. We are also excited to get it done and released.
  • 75 more comments