What's Your Plan?
I've been planning to change my sites to the SocialEngine framework (both are currently using another script). As I've been planning, I thought I would start a discussion about your website plans.

Do you have some plans for your site this year? Perhaps a new theme or blog series. Perhaps adding some features or customizations. 

Does social media play a part in your plans? If so, which ones? I've seen a trend away from Twitter as many grumble that it's become just one big advertisement. 

Do you have plans to get your members more involved with your site? (We do have a blog coming up about this topic)

My own plans involve:

Moving third party content (articles) into Blogs for the import.
Moving Group blogs into discussions.
Alerting my members of the impending move (done on one site already).
Making plugins to replace the other plugins I made for the other script (these will be in the marketplace).
Announcing on FB/Twitter/Google after the moves and sending newsletters.
Making YT videos for how to use the new site.
More blog posts for each site to engage members.

I've more plans but you get the idea. :)

Feel free to provide your feedback!

Sieg My plans list ;)

1- Find a way to have a better comment system for my commnunity: Actually is impossible to have a good discussion when you dont know where people is commenting;
    2- Find a gamification plugin like a points/credits system: The unique developer avaliable (I am not considering Younetco) is not answering questions about their plugin (Points from Hire Experts).
    3- Find a good auto newsletter plugin: Again a useful plugin that I would like an alternative, but Hire Experts is not answering questions about their products;
    4- Write more tutorials and record videos to explain how the site works;
    5- Produce more content and improve my social network accounts;
    6- Maybe a mobile app
    7- While the mobile app doesnt come, work on a better responsive layout
      Donna Hi Leandro!

Thanks for responding.

Is there a comment bug or what's up with commenting?

Regarding [80,Hire-Experts] , I'm surprised they've not answered. Did you check spam just to make sure it's not in there?

Tutorials are always a good idea. Both written and video tutorials tend to work well for members to learn how to use a site.

Can't go wrong with adding content. It's a great way to also build SEO.

The responsive theme coming in 4.9 should be something good for your site since you mentioned a responsive layout. I also recall seeing responsive themes in the marketplace and I know of some coming from another developer.
        Sieg Hi Donna,

Is there a comment bug or what's up with commenting?

Ans: The problem is that the actual commeting system logic is really bad. If I found something good in the activity feed and comment on it, the item will stay in the same position in the feed while some networks, like facebook, jump it to the top. Just as an example a few weeks ago a group of users started to discuss in a blog write 2 months before. I as admin neither saw this discussion because the blog item in the feed was so down in the feed that I couldnt neither imagine what it was happening. I opened a ticket, maybe version 4.9.0 will address a improvement in this area.

https://github.com/SocialEngine/phpv4-issues/issues/514

Regarding @Hire-Experts , I'm surprised they've not answered. Did you check spam just to make sure it's not in there?

Ans: I sent a couple of emails but no answer, but seems that they are active here so they sent me a private message now.

Tutorials are always a good idea. Both written and video tutorials tend to work well for members to learn how to use a site.

Ans: One thing that I am learning with my users is that sometimes less is more. I hide some areas like albums because it is causing more confusion than solutions.

Can't go wrong with adding content. It's a great way to also build SEO.

Ans: Yes, this is a huge point. Content is the type of thing that atract users so I will invest more in this field after the final release of my website.

The responsive theme coming in 4.9 should be something good for your site since you mentioned a responsive layout. I also recall seeing responsive themes in the marketplace and I know of some coming from another developer.

The problem of responsive templates is that as each user has an own way to develop neither all plugins are completly responsive. SEAO by example use sometimes different "divs" for the content area so I already found areas without background while some with. I hope that the version 4.9.0 will make developers start to use the SE standard and will finish with this type of problem.
          Donna Hi!

I see that we did respond to the comment issue feature request and in a positive way. I've not seen 4.9 yet so I can't confirm how the feed works but it sounds like some good improvements in that issue you posted.

I'm thinking that the certified marketplace will take care of the last issue you mentioned in your comment above, once it's in place.
            Donna Hi [185918,gs] ,

Yes, once we have that part of the marketplace set up, there will be a requirements section. :) I'm not 100% sure if that would only show to developers or if it would show to everyone though.
            • 0 1 vote
            gs Whenever SE gets around to it, it would be helpful to post what 'certified' means and the requirements. Thanks :)
            • 0 1 vote
    Spirit Silverwind Get off SE PHP and get on my custom platform that I have being coded from the ground up

our new platform will have the following:

-To be considered-
    Tagging system
    Staff Notation
    Char limit info for wall feature (visually seen - example twitter)
    Ability to organize friends
    Faqs/Q&A/tut/wiki like features?
    Clean URL handling
    Better profile/settings/page/content/ -controls- (I.E stopping email notices from say getting tagged in photos etc)
    The ability to allow users to set rather they want to rechieve or have to send friendship invites (To stop users from randomly adding them etc)
    The ability to set profile to reject all friendships by default
    Better notifcation system with the ability to archive/log/ or fully adjust/customize
    Force SSL globaly (even on custom profiles using none http(s) images)
    Better Email template with clickable links (and no random odd spaces)
    Entirely new Adminstrastion system (Complete overhaul, Logging, Ticket system, flagging system etc)
    Windows 10 supported Scaling, Browser Supported scalling, Phone(s) and tablet handling of website and its scalability
    Get off standard CSS and perhaps switch to CSS3?
    Add verifcation/two step security for those who want the extra security

-Features list-
    We're making a list of what features and functions the new site will have.. This is in no way a complete list! .. We welcome your thoughts and opinions on anything you see missing.

~ In progress ~
    We have already figured out how to incorporate these, and initial steps to make it happen have been taken.

* Wall
    -- Editable comments
    -- #Hashtag support
    -- @Refrence support
    -- Usable links
    * Badges
    * Private messaging
    * Relationships
    * User muting/blocking
    * Forums
    -- Better moderation tools
    -- Topic subscriptions
    * Content sharing, with foldering systems
    -- Photos
    -- Artwork
    -- Comic books
    -- Music
    -- Stories
    -- Books (multi page and chapter support)
    -- Writings
    -- Blogs
    * WYSIWYG editor for most things
    * Personalized appearance options
    -- Theme selection
    -- Flexible layout
    * Content creator tools
    -- Content creators (Artists, Musicians, Writers, tailors, etc) may flag themselves as such
    -- Users will be able to view a list of these creators, by type
    * Enhanced profiles
    -- Seperate tabs for different aspect of the user's profile
    -- Sub-Profiles (Fursonas) - Each user will be allowed to create a sub-profile for each of their fursonas.
    * Edit tracking - Edits to most content logged for administrative purposes
    * Flagging - Help the moderators and admins by flagging inappropriate content
    * Link/Resource hub - Help other users fnd useful websites by sharing links through a special tool.. Sites will be categorized, and filterable/searchable.
    * Points system - Earn points by doing certain things on the site.. Then use these points to "purchase" stuff
    * Allow poll creators to view results without participating
    * Enhanced groups system
    -- Organize groups hierarchicaly
    * Better support system - Get help, report bugs, and many other things through a ticketing system, allowing admins and moderators to better see what things need to be handled/dealt with.
    ~ Will do ~
    We definitely want these things. But we haven't figured out how just yet. Other then being ideas on a list, nothing has been done to make them a reality.

* Auto-refreshing wall
    * Activity wall - A wall dedicated to showing events occuring on the site. (i.e "User uploaded photos", "User joined the site", "User created a new blog entry", "User became friends with another user", etc)
    * Notifications system - Get informed when things you care about happen
    ~ Under consideration~

Were not sure how practical or feasable these features will be. Further consideration and thought will be given to them as the project progresses.. Hopefully we can find a way..

* Chat system
    * Instant messaging (Private chat rooms?)
    * Wall RSS feed
    * Wall digest (email ed daily)
    * Area for members in need to ask for help
    * (optional) Multi-step verification
    * Notification history
    * Subscribe/Unsubscribe from wall feed threads
    * (opt-inable) member locator
    * Anonymous member location statistics
      Donna That's a hefty list. Good luck with your project. Takes lots of patience to undertake something like that. For now, it's good that you have SocialEngine as a foundation for your community until you have your project done.