Some things you should know about this beta.
Welcome everyone! Before you play around with this beta, I wanted to add a couple notes here to give you context on how it's setup:

1. We have up/downvoting turned on instead of likes. SE5 also supports likes, and will support other custom reactions too, but for now we are testing up/downvoting here. This might change in the future.

2. The beta is clients-only, and we'll be bringing in small batches of people daily. The goal is to discuss the basic features/UI/bugs.

3. SE5 is extremely different from SE4, and they are really intended to be used for different use cases. Let's avoid comparisons, and focus on constructive feedback please. Thanks to the new hosted architecture, we can roll out features much more quickly than we could before!

Thanks all. This should be fun!
    Richard Kenworthy Like the idea of up/down feature would work nice on my network does it also have a count ie (4up 3downs)
    Gabry Yes Alex this is true "Let's avoid comparisons, and focus on constructive feedback please" but ... i don;t think is right to call this the new SE 5 ... you are making all your clients go crazy because no one understand anything what's happening in here ... SE for most of us means applications,options to interact between users in simple words all that is having SE 3,4. From your comments at least what i have read until this moment this is a sharing script ... we are taking the links from other big websites like Facebook etc. and put them on our websites ... and ? what can i do like webmaster ? only advertising for other websites ? thank you but i want my own website with my own stuffs and i don't think that making an website with this script i can make someone to register like my user ... if someone has already a lot of comments togheter with his friends on Facebook what can be the reason for him to come and share that subject also on my website ? Im sorry for disturbing with this comment but i think i have at least this right after spending more then 2500 euros for SE4 and now ....what ? Very disappointed and running i think to phpfox ... i had big dreams with your company but you will lose all with this ... thank you .
      mimosalguero Im agree with you Gabry. i was think on buy a version of SE but i dont like the SE4 for me is too old about interface and code, i hope they will think about it and give us the oportunity to get SE5 no just for a likes sites.
      Frank thank you Gabry, you hit the nail on the head!
      Gabry I also agree with you all ... i like this design and the new ideas and if they will combine this with the SE script like we know it i think it will be a new start for all ...
    Auwal You really shouldn't have called this one SE5. You should have gave an entirely new name. Nothing is wrong with the concept, just change the name and you can sell 2 products, one tailored as social graph and this one interest graph as Alex mentioned. Good work and keep it up.
    geazle I will continue to test here the beta site. I can say SE4 and SE5 are not the same. I wish you guys all the best.
    Frank will SE5 be suitable for a music community.... artist can create pages etc ???
    Odwongo Timothy I like it, its simple, clean and fast. Keep up the good work guys.....
    Richhack So, as SE4 license holders, do we get to move across to this at upgrade time, or is it another license fee?

If the latter, and if this SE 5 is what we were hoping for from SE4 (you caught up guys, haha) then will we be able to 'upgrade' in the same manner as we currently do? And will there be the option of keeping pulgins like photo albums/polls etc?

Really like the look and feel of this. Good work guys!
    SQLBROS Should this MicroSharing SE5 be a plugin in SE 4? ...
      sanaa i tought about having something like on on se4 maybe it will happen one day
    Thomas Feels different.
    Charlotte Genevier This is me just trying this out.
    Adi Sucipto Really like the concept. Make this a special version in layout and so on
    John Rivers How much will it cost me for the migartion anyways ?
      Alex Benzer The import script won't come right at launch, but it will be free when you sign up for SE5
    John Rivers What do you recomend to use SE4 or SE5 ?
      Alex Benzer Definitely depends on your site concept. SE5 is more focused on microsharing of media and external links. SE4 is more about creating a self-contained social network with more nuanced member profiles
    Richard Kenworthy Counter should be independant, or is that customizable too?
      Alex Benzer independent in what sense?
        Richard Kenworthy Should be able to see how many positive and negative votes. If 10 people vote but only see 1 on counter, would like to know who voted down or vice versa
          Alex Benzer ahh Disqus still. I'll look into it. It's already implemented on the backend but we haven't built it out on the front.
            P.s. Rothbein Hi Alex, I recently informed people in my new LinkedIn group about SocialEngine cloud and is the discussion topic of the day. Please feel free to join the group http://www.linkedin.com/groups?home=&gid=4619924&trk=anet_ug_hm
            • 0 1 vote
    aboss Things I what to know about this beta is more options
    PinkPanther Alex one of our client need dating network we told him wait something new is coming so wait they are waiting
    now give me a example how we can use SE5 to bring him dating network
    as you said "they are really intended to be used for different use cases." give me an example how we can setup dating network with their customized requirements?
    aboss What is SE5 running on? Computer type and place?
    Simone Paciaroni Hello Alex, have you a date when we can start working on the script of SE5 directly into the server of your partner?
    When we can turn our DNS?

Thank you.
    geazle How could SE5 be tailored to be a unique site with an idea?
    SQLBROS Hey ALEX !

All the features you showed in SE 5 should be a plugin in SE 4 as a DIGG type and not really a entire Social Network. What do you think?
  • 41 more comments