Diff Check Social Engine PHP
Hi 

Wondered if someone could give me heads on the diff check with Social Engine, Its always confused me, unless its a bug.So thought id check here.

So im doing updates, and sometimes you see diff check
With 3 types
Different
Different_different
Different _removed

first whats the difference between those marked different and different_different 

Next part I ask is, regards to it saying specifically 
This is the list of files on your system that may have been modified since they were originally installed. If you decide to continue with this installation, they may be overwritten or deleted. To avoid losing any custom changes you've made to these files, you may want to cancel the installation and make backups. If you're not worried about losing custom changes to these files, you can continue with the installation.

It says SINCE originally installed

Does it only show files opened after first installed of such plugin?

Because there are files that do not show up on the diff check, which are completely different, that have lines added and lines removed.

How are they not shown on dif check?

also related to this, is there any tools that can compare tar files and its contents, and all the lines of code on each file.
@donna

Donna Here's the answer :) :

"We looked into this query and `Different_different` appears when the client has changed a file and the same file has also been changed by us in the upgrade being performed. `Different_removed` appears when client changed something in the file and that file has been removed by us in the upgrade. We didn't find `Different` appearing in any case. So, if anyone is confused at some point and getting this "Different" type also, then please contact support along with a screenshot and we can look into this accordingly . "

Hope that helps explain it. Please note that you would need active support for our technicians to check your tickets.
      gs Thanks Donna for the update.

What constitutes 'client ...changed'? i.e. is there actually a comparison done of code or simply a file size comparison or what else exactly? Thx
        Donna I don't know. I will guess it's showing the file is altered but can't say for sure as I've not tested this part of the process to know. Please check with our support for now as our team is wrapping up 4.9.2 atm and harder to get answers for right now. :)
      PoeticJustice Hi @Donna

thanks for reply.

"`Different_different` appears when the client has changed a file and the same file has also been changed by us in the upgrade being performed."

Has SE got a limit that it only shows some?
      Because when I did the update on my staging server, it referenced loads of files, mainly zend, themes etc.
      All files that I hadnt personally touched. So obviously they were referenced due to difference from 4.8.10 to 4.91.

That said, I could not see in the diff check, the files related to bugs I reported, I just wanted to see the code changes, plus I wanted to see the only one core file that I added a slight change too.
      That file also was not in the diff check.

Which lead me to believe the diff check is only displaying x amount of diff checks and not all of the files and changes.
      Maybe its set to 500 shown only, Im not sure, but I know for certain there is files not shown on diff check which are different, and they should be shown etc.
      • 0 1 vote
        Donna Hi,

You're welcome.

As for your additional questions, I don't know. Our team did say for any with additional questions to please contact support so our techs can see what you are referring to and please to send a screenshot. You would want a support plan if you don't have one.

Did you try an upgrade from your 4.8.10 to 4.8.13 and see if the file changes were different? We had a lot of changes from 4.8.13 to 4.9 due to new theme and features and lots of updates such as zend and tinymce so there would be a long list for those.

Wish I had more answers but it's not my expertise for this particular topic, yet.
          PoeticJustice [231316,Donna] just signed up, I will look for this
            Donna Ok thanks! I can point you to some after work. If you can't find them.
            • 0 1 vote
          PoeticJustice Hi [231316,Donna]

I dont really wanna pay for support to just ask a question, it was just to an observation.

It was literally a question, thats why asked here rather than make github post.

SE dont provide an achieve of installs, so updating from 4.8.11 to 4.8.13 would be impossible.

plus at this point from 4.8.11 updating to 4.8.13 then to update to 4.9.1 seems silly. especially as old installs are not achieved.

plus the diff check would be the same if upgrading from 4.8.13, as most the diff checks were related to themes and zend.

Thats why I just asked if the diff check had a limit. Because it would be annoying if it didnt display them all and some were removed without knowing, all tho the different_removed Id imagine takes priority.... or hope it does

Ill run it again on my second staging site tho, the see if there is a clear number and also compare with beyond compare
            Donna Regarding custom work, I have tips at my ScriptTechs about steps to take when having custom work done. They can save headaches later on. The article should be in my blogs at my main site. I have lots of tips there that can work on any script really.
            • 0 1 vote
            Donna I agree about Beyond Compare. It's amazing. I also use Netbeans 8.1 for my local installs as it's easy to access code and stuff and have a "live" site to test on locally.
            • 0 1 vote
            PoeticJustice [231316,Donna]

I dont find it issue, Literally was just a question.

I just like to check certain things, and love diff check as you see side by side comparisons

but beyond compare is awesome,

I purchased a plugin, which had custom work to it, but with the SE update, the plugin was updated.
            And with Beyond compare I was able to inject the old custom code easily into the new updated files :D
            • 0 1 vote
            Donna Ok sorry I don't have more answers right now. Perhaps a team member will have some time to check this before our next release.
            • 0 1 vote
    Donna Hi,

Thank you for your post. I've asked our techs about your question as I don't have the answer. I hope to update this with an answer today.
      PoeticJustice Hi Donna on github you mentioned a tool before, was to check all files and compare all the lines of code in a zip or tar, so you could see what was changed etc
        Donna Oh yes, I missed that question in your post. There are two tools I use. Diffmerge and Beyond Compare. Either should work to check the files for you.
          gs 1. Please forgive my ignorance, but is there a way to compare a .tar file with live files, or is it a process of 'unzipping' the tar file then comparing?

2. As OP asked, what's the difference between each of the below (i.e. what triggers or determines each):
          Different
          Different_different
          Different _removed

Donna [185918,gs] no problem :) I'll update as soon as I get more info or one of our staff with an answer can post as well. They are all pretty tied up atm.
            • 0 1 vote
            gs Thanks Donna. My apologies - I wasn't sure which part wasn't answered. My bad.
            • 0 1 vote
            Donna I unzip to compare so I've not tried it with the .tar.

For issue 2, please see my answer above where I said that I was asking our techs and would post once I have an answer. I still don't have an answer yet. I hope to tomorrow since they were tied up today with bug fixes to get 4.9.2 ready for release soon. :)
            • 0 1 vote
          PoeticJustice wowzers, beyond compare is really good
            Donna Yeah it is. One of my faves.
            • 0 1 vote
  • 1 more comment