how to enable/disable email by ML
I'm sure this is a simple easy to find setting but I can't seem to locate it.  Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Hopefully there will be separate in/outbound settings too, but my guess is that that may be expecting too much :)

ty
    Mikel Coreclark Hi, what exactly is the problem with your email.
    There are 2 sections to emails. 1st is your site settings in your admin panel on your site itself and the 2nd is your server host email settings on your server admincp.

thanks
    mikel
    gs RE: AdminCP -> Settings -> Default Email Notifications

Question01: If I deselect all of these, then these become the initial settings for newly signed-up Users?
    Question02: Assuming the above is yes, if I then disable the menu option to display these settings to Users, they won't be able to override these?

Just looking for a temporary fix until the entire notification/email-notification section gets revamped. Thanks.
      Donna That is what I did for my demo site. I also removed the details on the notification page or they can change them. I didn't want people being smart alecks. I need to go fix it again as it got overwritten on my upgrade as I was in a hurry at the time.
        gs Thanks - I was hoping that would work since I don't Users yet that would also require changing.

BTW - is there a reason (that can be prevented in the future) that this got overwritten upon your upgrade (and thus, it's now something that we Site-ADMINs should be aware of)? Had you not mentioned this, I wouldn't have thought to check this upon upgrading.
          Donna I don't know what I was thinking editing the stuff. All you have to do to remove those for now is to go to the layout editor and choose User Notifications Settings page and then remove the "content" widget. You can then put it back later when we add the settings per member level.
          Donna I stupidly edited the default insignia theme instead of putting that change in my clone theme. :)
            Donna LOL thank you :)
            • 0 1 vote
            gs Ah - okay (phew - I was concerned). And it doesn't diminish my high regard/respect for you (unless you consider taking a buck away from Bill Gates realistically makes him less rich :)
            • 0 1 vote
    gs Mike: no problem with email, just looking for how/where to do this

Primary Purpose: To allow/disallow emails by Member Level. The point is that some MLs would be allowed to send/receive emails, others wouldn't. Why?:
    - incentive to upgrade to another ML (notifications will still exist but they must login to view them)
    - ADMIN costs (site requirements and $cost when using 3rd-Party service such as SendGrid/MailGun)
    - site performance
    - security/trust
    - possibly others but that's it for now
      Donna Now that I think about it, this sounds like a good idea. I use Sendgrid for my sites as it's never good to use server mail. Too easy to get your entire server IP blacklisted if even one member reports something as spam that comes from the site. Did you add this to our feature request section? https://github.com/SocialEngine/phpv4-feature-requests Please view the documents for creating feature requests in order to have it considered. :)
        gs I just posted it at github because I was waiting to find out if I was simply not seeing something right in front of me, or if this basic functionality didn't exist (yet).

https://github.com/SocialEngine/phpv4-feature-requests/issues/112
      Mikel Coreclark hi, what you're asking or thinking of doing is beyond my knowledge. Don't think me crazy for asking the obvious, have you looked in knowledgebase for ideas ? there I find all kinds of related knowledge to ideas I have had in the past. Or chat to SE Techs for answers.

A little of my tried and failed experience knowledge for you.
      My own member based rule is: if the majority of members are not asking for it, then is it worth providing it or the effort and time managing it ?
      As site owners, we sometimes think the more incentives / products we provide, the more members will want it and the better the site is. in my experience the answer is 'not' unless you have a specific ML that need a service or product such as business member.
      Personally I don't allow members to send or receive emails. not sure I trust members that much. don't want to run the risk of hackers or viruses finding a way into my mail server through back doors or open windows. people do like to leave doors and windows open. just my opinion.
      mikel.
        gs Thanks Mikel/Steven/Donna for your replies.

Mike: Since you mention you don't allow Users to send/receive emails, what about all the content emails in the system? What about when a User messages another and that gets sent as an email - do you simply have email turned off? For me, I want email on, but simply disabled per ML. It seems this basic function is another missing from SE. I can understand (somewhat) why the complexity/flexibility of enabling/disabling each individual message isn't built yet, but I can't see why it seems there's no ML setting for emails.
          Mikel Coreclark hi, when it comes to standard messaging and emails system the SE script allows through design, my site and server is very well secure and therefore permitted. anything more in my opinion is not needed and could carry a risk.
          answer this question: are the majority of your members asking for it ? if 'yes' then you got a good earning opportunity. if 'no' then I could not justify the work.
          I know I can sound negative of ideas, sometimes its because ive tried them and failed or created other issues and then gave up or just broke my toys somewhere else in the system.
          I think your project will take time to be made possible. chat to SE techs or Scripttechs, see what they say about steven gates reply.
          mikel.
            gs Thanks Mikel
            RE: Users asking for it? No - no users yet :)

In this case, I want to prevent issues before they start (easier to allow something later on than take it away from a User). Plus, a User is probably not going to recommend a feature that makes them pay more to use (such as upgrading their membership to send/receive emails).

I just figured something as basic as allowing emails would be included (I see a setting for disabling notifications, but not emails separately). If (and that's obviously a big if) there's ever activity on the site, the email volume could be ridiculous even for very few Users (almost every little 'thing' posted/commented/etc. creates a notification and email). As far as disabling each notification - I've considered that (actually had a Dev estimate it), but am holding off because there's a github post about changes to the entire email & notification area, so my hope is that this will come.

At least it seems I'm not crazy (well, at least not about this) when I couldn't find the ML setting for it - since it seems it simply doesn't exist.
            • 0 1 vote
      Steven Gates Sounds like you would have to dive into the code and add some conditional if statements to check the member level and then if it meets the authorized levels, to run the code that send the email. That is my guess.
    Donna Yes, as Mikel asks, what are you trying to accomplish?
    • 0 1 vote