Many Ning Members Moving To SocialEngine
We've recently seen a lot of Ning users email us or switch platforms entirely over the last few weeks. If this sounds like you, I'd love to hear more about what made you pull the trigger and move to SocialEngine. :) Thanks guys!
    Kimmie [15205,Jule] , I would definitely recommend SE Cloud. It is what we have chosen and I'm absolutely in love with it. I have no development skills and work with an affordable designer [73,seTweaks] . If you can change to SE Cloud I think you will be really happy. The admin panel is user friendly and you also get SEC support. I literally tell people I have an IT team because of the support they provide. For me, support responses are always within 24 hours and my problem is always resolved or put on the list to be resolved and they come through. So I hope you give SEC a chance. If you have questions or want to msg me please feel free to do so.
    Alex Guillaume Ning or SEC are a great tool when you begin a social network. But when you want a lot of optimizations, SE PHP is a great tool... to date. I really look forward to launch my new social network and to ask my 16000 Ning members to switch to it. Hope this time it will be the last time I loose most of my network when moving from one platform to an other. (SocialGo -> Ning -> SE php)
    PS : Developping a complete SE php, runing fast, with some optimizations, and good pluggins... cost me about 5000$. :-(
    For the same platform, home made in 2009, would have cost me 150 000 to 200 000 $ !!! :-)

So ask me the question in 6-12 month... I'll tell you if it's a good idea or not to switch to SE !
      seTweaks If you want fast and SE optimized server checkout our servers : http://setweaks.com/socialengine-hosting-servers/
      Kimmie Wishing you the best.
      Drew Frey First of all, welcome [10338,Alex Guillaume] I'm happy to see that you've joined SE. 16,000 members is really impressive! When do you expect to launch? Within the next month or so?
    Joan Hi Drew, we're total newbies and we initially had about 6 ideas for social sites. We settled on one and then had a trial with SE and Ning. We thought SE was great all along but went with Ning 'cos they offered a paid access solution with a ready hosted platform. SEPHP was not something we felt we had the skills for at the time and we just didn't want the hassle or cost of self hosting. It was a very stressful time! Cut a long story short Ning just didn't deliver. It was ridiculously slow, clunky, uninspiring, boring, the community manager was as much use as a wet rag and in the end it just didn't excite us. SEC on the other hand does. It's fast, intuitive, great design, great team, great support, priced just right and just a great place to be. We're using Cloud and we love it! In January the Ning Community manager left to go elsewhere (please tell us he's not coming to SE!) Before he went he posted that Ning had "big things" planned but he couldn't say what it was, blah, blah, blah. So maybe the recent interest from Ning customers might correspond to whatever the "big thing" was, not working out? Anyway we've solved our paid access problem (we think) simply by using a Paypal Subscribe button and we'll launch on SEC soon. We won't win any design awards or anything but we're taking a longer term view on the SE team. Kind of like betting on Dyson, early on against Hoover. So thanks Drew for the often insightful community input and the rest of the SE team for their hard work in delivering a fantastic product. Keep focused 'cos you've got the beginnings of a great company.
      Kimmie I concure [8253,Joan] . SEC is a wonderful choice especially for newbee's like us. Looking forward to the new things to come (plugins and such). Paypal subscribe button is a good idea ;-).
        Joan Thanks Newbee! Lookin forward to well developed SEC too. Subscribe button was a really easy solution. Not perfect, but 80% so that's good enough. Good luck with the site/investor and all.
          Kimmie Your welcome [8253,Joan] and thank you for your kind words.
    seTweaks Great news! a user importing tool is needed to attract more Ning users.
    Trieu Thanh Tuan I moved my Ning site to SE PHP about a month ago.
      Drew Frey I recently stumbled across this [1450,Trieu Thanh Tuan] and saw that you shared some of your thoughts to the Ning community back in October about SE. http://creators.ning.com/forum/topics/kris-is-leaving-us
    Jule Well I am the opposite, I'm a new licence holder of PHP version, not a developer and regreting my decision of purchasing this platform for building my social site. Wishing now I had of gone with something like Ning, that seems simpler that does not require you to know code. As I cannot work ot how to build this site and support first 30 days of buying is crap, you never get a straight answer except to be told to hire someone to build it for you.......Not what the advertsing on the sales page said about this product....Really not good for non developers that don't have deep pockets...
      Jung Kim Have you checked out our cloud offering? https://www.socialengine.com/features/cloud
        Trieu Thanh Tuan Yeah, SE cloud is very good but lacking of some plugins. I will move my site to SE cloud when you offer some needed plugins.
        Jule Do you get better support than what you get with PHP? Sort of lost lost trust with this company now because asked them all the right questions before my purchase...Now stuck with something I cannot work with.....Not happy!